Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It must be cancer

What fears we have about cancer.
You see the last few weeks I was not feeling like me. My stomach was gnawing and my back hurt too. What a combination. ut oh..better go on line and check this one out; too early to bother the Doctor. So there I was, ulcers? kidney? stress? hemorrhage? No none of those. It had to be cancer, but oh my God cancer of the stomach, it could not be worse. Still too early to bother the Doctor. I will just pay attention to my stomach and back and clock the symptoms and suffer within.
Had I done everything I wanted to do in my life? Were my affairs in order? Did I say I love you? I quickly changed my diet; only comfort foods, lots of water to flush it all down, lots of rest and vitamins. Stay away from Advil or other pain stoppers, that could really make my stomach hurt.
O. K. I better go to the Dr.on an emergency visit as a real appointment would be too far in advance. So there I sat yesterday waiting in the office hoping to be pushed in between the legitimate appointments and finally, there he was; my Doctor. "What is wrong he asked?" I told him all of the symptoms and told him the really bad news. I was leaving town next week on an extended trip and my insurance only worked here. He not being an alarmist said, o.k. better get a cat scan; you have to make sure you are o.k.to travel.
So I got the referral and ran up the steps to the lab and made an appointment for the next day. I was handed some gooky looking syrup to take and no food what so ever 4 hours before the scan, meaning my morning tea would have to wait. Horrors!
I went to sleep and guess what? I WOKE UP FEELING FINE. How could this be? I am supposed to be sick. Maybe I will postpone the appointment for the next day to see how it plays out.
Well, the next day I was fine too. You see this is the moral.
I was queasy and my back did hurt but that did not mean I had CANCER. We, I, are so filled with fear of the dreaded that our imagination runs wild when anything slightly out of the norm happens to us.
I do thank god that I am fine but it amazes me how my mind actually works.....
And yours?
Carol Sue Gershman

No comments: