Friday, April 3, 2009

Interesting film named "Medicine for Meloncoly"

We have a little cinematic here in South Beach and tonight an independent film maker named Barry Jenkins introduced his film to the Miami audience.
He made the film for $4000 and it has been shown at all film festivals around the world. The story is about a BLACK couple who meet by chance and decide to spend the day together. She has a WHITE boyfriend who is out of town, and while she is reluctant to cheat on him, the male character draws her in and she surrenders, but only for the day.
What I found interesting about the film is that it took place in San Francisco and I happen to be headed that way next week. It was a great travelogue about the city and I will be sure to go to their many museums and will take my granddaughter with me.
The film brought out the question, why is a BLACK person drawn to a WHITE person for a mate? Is it to become part of the WHITE world?
So why are WHITE people drawn to BLACK people for a mate? I do not think it is to become part of the BLACK world. I can only speak for myself. I found the inter-race exciting. I thought the contrast of color was beautiful especially if both people are beautiful to begin with.But in essence I wish there was not any difference; I wish we did not see color; yet we do no matter how hard we try and so does the other race.
But here is another question; does a BLACK person or a WHITE person have to be beautiful, exciting, charming to draw in the other race? Is it just for a special few who are lucky enough to cross over, spread their horizons and become more worldly? In years to come, maybe it will all be behind us broadening the circle of life forever.
Carol Sue Gershman

No comments: