Monday, October 13, 2008

Air lines, they fly safely but kill us in other ways

 I had to book a flight at last minute.  I drove myself to the airport;  Only two days over night parking,  how much could it cost? I found out  $22.00 a day for a valet to park it close to the entrance. I felt like a queen avoiding the  shuttle bus that I usually take. The plane ride up was fine but would my son be at the airport to greet me? With my son there is always a mystery; maybe he will be there in person, maybe he will send a car  or maybe I will be taking the next plane back?  He doesn't like to use the telephone to tell me his plans and does not pick up his phone when I call, but I know deep in my heart that he or a car will be there waiting. There is an element of a game or a surprise he likes; he knows it will throw me if he doesn't  call and for what ever reason,  it does; but sure enough as I landed the phone rang, this time it was his secretary telling me a car with a green shamrock on it was waiting.  I ran through a couple of levels with my suitcase to find where the car was parked but sure enough moments later I was in a lovely limo type cab on my way to meet the family at the hotel. They were no where to be found, so I went out and got a manicure. and met everyone for a rewarding evening a few hours later.

 I was attending the funeral of my daughter-in laws mom and it was as heartwarming as any funeral can be, the weather was divine. I was glad to be there as part of both families and my son and his wife were proud that I came. A lovely lady lost her life, another victim of ovarian cancer; now I must carry on for the both of us and be a better  grand mom  to our precious kids.
Off to the store to buy a Halloween card in her in her tradition.

After some corned beef and pickles back at the house I went directly to the airport and my son drove me with no surprises. It was nice to spend time with him.  I boarded the plane as it drove up and down the runway for a half hour only to hear the announcement  that that plane was not going to take off. O. K. not so bad, why get in after midnight?  I was sure they would put me up at a hotel and get me on the first flight out the next day. I achieved the latter but after calling three supervisors and standing on a long line,  they came up with a distressed price at a hotel a few miles from the airport.  I found my own-and a suite for less price.  the shuttle came and I was asleep before I hit the bed.  At least I would get a good nights sleep.

This would work  fine because I ditched a pair of shoes that were falling apart at the previous security check-in the night before only to find I missed them. But no, it didn't work, the airport discarded them permanently. And this time they took my toothpaste and lotion too which pushed me over the top. I called the supervisor and talked them into letting me keep my precious tooth paste and expensive remover. The seats were cramped in; but the plane did take off and I managed to sell a book to my seat mate. I had not counted on another day of parking so with the hotel and parking fee I could have booked a first class seat on another airline. But I am safely home!
Carol Sue Gershman


No comments: