Monday, March 3, 2008

Chinese.....Jewish

Mah Jongg is the greatest game. Seems that it is the jewish ladies who have adapted this game from the Chinese. Are our tastes so similar I questioned? What jewish person does not like chinese food? Surely we don't look the same but when it comes to their food and their game we are spiritually connected. Any lady who plays Mah Jongg knows that it is the greatest game ever; it is addicting, highly motivating and is sure to dismiss any problems when we are at the Mah Jongg table. I played thiry five years ago when I was in my early thirties; the greatest divirsion from taking care of the kids all day. My husband knew on those nights he had to be home to baby sit. I would put the kids to bed and run to the hosts house. We would play until eleven-thirty and when I finally hit the bed, I would toss and turn as my mind was stimulated and it was impossible to fall asleep. It was the 60's. We smoked endless ciggaretes and ate every kind of Hershey's chocolate that they created. My husband could never understand why Mah Jongg. meant more to me, than staying home with him. It was our salvation; we all loved it equally. After a ten year run; and after I seperated from my husband (having nothing to do with the game, I do not think) I stopped playing. Dating began to play a major role in my life, a greater diversion. it has been 35 years since the thought hit me again to play. Life does goes in circles. It was not easy to find a game, once again only the Jewish Ladies play, but I am back into it without the cigarettes, without the chocolate looking forward to each and every Monday. Now we play in the afternoons, we serve fruit or nuts, sometimes someone bakes something special or one of us serves a divine lunch. We laugh, we concentrate, we amuse ourselves by playing and oh yes, definitely just like then, we play for money. The stakes in 35 years have nto kept up with inflation, nobody is out to make a killing, we just want to be some what compensated when we call out"mahjongg." Now I am escaping from my single life... Hey nothing is perfect. Off to the Chinese Restaurant now.

No comments: