Monday, May 11, 2009

The uncomplicated life

There is no question, I have complicated my life; oh too many times to talk about here.
But what I would like to talk about is an uncomplicated life. How to keep things simple and easy and make the simplest task interesting. Here is what I am trying to say.
It was Saturday night and you know how we are programmed, a date, a party, sex, a play, movie, dinner, friends over and the list goes on.
Well here is how I spent last Saturday night.
I had laundry to do and no washing machine in sight at the small hotel I now call home. I learned that the closest Laundromat was about 2 miles away.
So I made plans with me to go on a date to the Laundromat.
I placed my laundry in a bag on wheels, waited for the sun to go down, put on my sneakers and took the two mile hike dragging my laundry along the boardwalk and on to the avenues. The temperature was perfect, a balmy breeze pushing me along. I stopped in a little market for a bottle of ice cold water. Rather than fumbling inside of my bag for change I asked if I could charge the water on the credit card I had around my neck placed in a little case.The teller told me the minimum was five dollars. A good sole overheard the conversation and while I was struggling to look for the change, and without me seeing him do it, he paid for my water. He drove quickly away before I could thank him. How kind he was and how sorry he must have felt for this poor over heated woman with laundry and messed up hair.
I passed sidewalk cafes, people out on Saturday night. I treated myself to a smoothie, each sip delicious. I stopped in little shops and finally arrived at the huge busy Laundromat. People carried in over sized bundles of laundry, doing the same thing I was doing on their Sat. night. Their kids ran wild having to hang out with their parents, and their dirty laundry. My clothes got washed and dried and the time flew by. Ahhh, clean sweet smelling clothes of mine! A great feeling! I had left at six and it was close to nine. I took the free bus back, seniors do not pay in Miami and went back to my simplified hotel room so exhausted that I went straight to sleep. Simple night, a good healthy walk, thirst quenching water, fruit smoothie , clean laundry to wear and a roaring sleep. Life at its best!
Carol Sue Gershman

No comments: