Friday, May 9, 2008

Insecure Nasty Women

Some, (or is it most of us ) are envious. Women will take the opportunity to put another woman in harms way. I personally am sick of some of my lady friends who are insecure within themselves and need to find their own power through lashing out and testing me as a friend. I am a kind soul. It is hard for me to comprehend the viciousness in other women. Jealous women have a biting way about them, their only way to feel superior. Let me give you examples and it will be for you to decide.

Case 1. I went out with two lady friends several weeks back. It was a lovely evening and we sat in an outdoor cafe sharing a booth with a young couple and their precious son. Well, the couple whipped out their cigarettes and filled the booth with smoke enveloping not only us but the lungs of their adorable son. I looked at that precious little 3 year old and thought how terrible; his own parents doing him so much harm. So when they left , and yes they were a nice friendly couple, I said to her, "my wish for you is to stop smoking in front of your adorable child." She glanced at me awkwardly with no response and kept walking.

My two friends, had a response. They thought I acted disgracefully stating it was none of my business and I should have kept my mouth shut. I apologized if I had embarrassed them, but told them both that their reaction to what I said seemed worse than what I actually said. Well one friend let me have it. "What you did was disgraceful. do you know how you made that couple feel,where do you come off talking like that to another person when it is none of your business." She was yelling at me telling me my actions were beyond her thinking to the point that I choked on my food and went home truly with a migraine headache. Now tell me is this a friend? One that would intentionally insult and embarrass me even if she did not agree with my actions? I do not say that I was all right, I did make the couple feel bad, but maybe in some way I impacted them enough not to smoke in front of their child. My friend abuser had a great time hurting me while my other friend sat mute. My point is, in one million years I would not lash out at a friend in that way. She was mean. I might disagree, but never would I demoralize the other person. I let it slide and attuned her birthday party and then one day when we out having fun eating ice cream, this same person let me know that I do many things not to her liking and she finds that I never apologize. I asked her what I should apologize for. At that point rather than take more of her abuse and especially not allowing me to enjoy my ice cream, I got up and went home. She e mailed me the next day trying to make amends but truly I had it from her.

case 2... a friend had to have minor surgery. I offered to drive her to the hospital. She found some one else to take her. I offered the next day to take her back and forth for her follow up but she did not want to bother me. When I called the next day to see how it all went, she said, I did not want to impose on you. I said, I offered and waited for your call to take you. Then she said, I would like a rye bread. It was pouring out and I was home for the day and responded, "do you mind if I bring the bread in the morning?"Well, she brushed me off of the telephone as if to say, "see, I knew you really did not want to help me out. "I was amazed. I decided anyway to drop the bread off the next day with a note telling her that I hope she felt better. She is the same friend who accused me of having a connection with her boyfriend several months ago. She felt that way because I was interested in hearing her tell me about him and would often give her advice, maybe sometimes taking his side. Dear Readers, I was not in the slightest interested in him.
I was abused in case 1 and in case 2, I was being tested. Refusing to get her a rye bread proved to her, I was not a friend. Having extended myself to taking her to the hospital was unimportant. If I sound as though I am complaining, I am. These two ladies were friends and meant something to me, but I have to assume that they have a love hate relationship with me and are jealous. What are your thoughts? Have you had similar situation?

I believe with the friends that I have just described, I need new friends. Tell me, what do you think?

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Well this is very belated but after reading this I can, once again, relate to your thoughts. Girlfriends are always bitchy and catty in some way and I never understood it either as I always come from a place of heartfelt kindness and concern. The best you can do is know that your INTENTION was always right and if it is misinterpreted, that is their problem.