Saturday, May 17, 2008

GOING THROUGH LIFE WITH SOMEONE

I had an interesting two hour telephone conversation with a friend of mine today and we talked about the importance of going through life with someone. She was not referring to marriage or to a best friend even though those are wonderful ways. If one does not have either one of those, knowing someone on this planet who would take a plane down, or run over in case of need is extremely comforting.

I am divorced for many years, but my ex husband and I have stood by each others emotional side for all of our divorced years. I call him in need, good or bad and he does the same. I know he is there for me, and I would hope that he knows that I am there for him. It is good for me, but just maybe it has kept me from meeting a significant other. My need has not been all that great because I know I have him for support. If I was completely emotionally alone, I might have noticed that emotional void more so. So divorce is just a piece of paper. Have I deprived myself of another true relationship, have I chosen guys who I know were incapable of marrying me because that was not my need? Did I boast all of my divorced life that I did not understand the needs of of other women having to go right out and get married, or those who hang on to their children for emotional needs? Did I place myself in a category of being strong and independent when all the time I have been dependent? These are some new thoughts of mine.. Carol Sue Gershman

No comments: