Tuesday, July 21, 2009

News from Washington DC and Williamsburg, Va



Washington, DC and all of its power. The weather was glorious and to see the monument, Capital, Obama's pad, Arlington Cemetery, Smithsonian, was a thrill. The town was packed with tourists and the energy is vibrating. AND there amongst all of its power, was MY poster on the corner of 14th and L hanging in the window of Borders! Oh yes, there is was....

HERE IS A TASTE OF WASHINGTON, FROM MY BOOK, WHILE VISITING MY COUSIN, FORMER SECT. OF THE NAVY.

'I wanted to bring him flowers but Xavier spotted a watermelon at a market and suggested we bring that instead. I thought it would be different and thirst-quenching in the heat. Xavier put the watermelon on his shoulder, the typical picture white folks have of a black man and this is how I introduced him. I was amused and humiliated at the same time but we all had a good laugh and a year later my cousins and I recalled the funny incident."


BACK TRACKING TO WILLIAMSBURG

I AM SO WIPED!

3 great weeks on the road but now backtracking to Williamsburg, Va. because of schedule, was a wipe out for me! But the early morning tea in the historic village with hardly any tourists and free parking was great.. Then on to my book talk at BN.....FROM MY BOOK:

'We briefly ran in and out of the wonderful historic shops, the cobbler, the p o, the sweet store, the hardware store, as authentic as they were back in time. But neither one us needed to drag out the historical visit; we were on the same wave length. It was hot and we were attached to our car and couldn't wait to get back into it. It was our little cool cocoon of security."

ENJOY YOUR SUMMER AND PLEASE STAY..............TUNED.

1 comment:

thewriterslife said...

I kinda sorta live near Williamsburg. Was your signing in the old part of Williamsburg? I've been in that B&N many many times...it's so beautiful back in there.