Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 1 and 2 of the Road trip (relived)


Left Ocean Spray Hotel, Miami Beach with a car so jammed packed you could never believe it; that is why I took the photo.
Believe it or not with all of the wonderful B&B's, fancy hotels along my path, I feel most comfortable at a "Choice hotel" like a Sleep Inn..
Why? comfortable, car outside the door, swimming pool outside the door, easier than porters or carrying luggage up the winding charming staircases of a B&B, and suppose I do not like the host and rules he might have?
STOP 1:
St. Augustine, the oldest town in U. S. is ever so charming with its winding streets, museums, restaurants, walk ways, discovering sights I never saw before. No place is ever the same the 2nd time round or for that matter ever! Book Signing a smash at a book store so old that it matched the oldest city. I sat out on the lawn and people strolled by to listen to the story of the Jewish Lady, The Black Man and the Road trip. Such fun talking to people and hearing their stories too.
Everybody has a story..

Here are a few lines from my memoir while visiting St. Augustine

"As we sat side by side in the restaurant that first night, I suddenly burst out into uncontrollable laughter. It might have been anxiety; I felt shy. Maybe I wanted to say I love you, or I am thrilled to be here with you but it was easier to laugh and cover up my uncomfortable feeling of closeness."

STOP 2:
On to Savannah early the next morning to my first Barnes and Noble with a sell out of books! What fun is this! Savannah gorgeous with its river walks and Georgian mansions! Great food and cordial people.
Here are a few lines from my memoir while visiting Savannah.

After dinner at a riverside cafe, we sat at a park bench along the river. It had stopped raining and we enjoyed the peace and beauty in each others arms. We kissed as he held me tight. We needed the closeness knowing that we were getting farther away from home."
The next morning we rode down Martin Luther King Boulevard into the raunchiest part of town, and I wondered why they always chose to put the name M.L.K. in the most run down parts of town.

NEXT STOP CHARLESTON!

No comments: