Saturday, July 19, 2008

The jewish lady, the black man and the road trip

Last week I went to visit my ex-husband. I wrote about him in my book, when we were married, and when our lives were shared. I won't give it away by telling you what I said about him, but I will tell you that that man has changed. He lives in an awesome home in Colorado right on the river. The air is more than divine, and I found myself going outside early morning just to breathe it in. His home is a retreat with perfectly groomed buddah gardens, at least five bird cages with birds that are fed each day. One feeding station has a two-way mirror; we can see the birds as we sit on his sprawling couch, but they cannot see us. There is a wonderful pond where the fish are fed and because ducks made such a mess, he has 5 wooden ducks that represent the 5 members of our family as they swim under the geiser.
He is a incredible host. He runs for goodies and not only that, he cooks. He is a brilliant photographer and his work is now being shown all over the world. His clothes are outrageous from wild shorts, yellow shoes and rainbow socks to pin striped suits. . On top of this he is kind, compassionate and now has great respect for himself and in return for me.
We are good friends, after 25 years I seemed to pick up where I left off, serving him, straightening up, cooking. Well after all we lived together for 25 years.
I am proud of him and equally proud that he is the father of my children.
Carol Sue Gershman

No comments: