Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ladies Unite! A New Years eve treat for all.





I questioned what to do this New Years. A date? Had many on New Years. How bout a party? Ok, but what kind of a party, a party for two, No! A party with several couples, No! Friends stopping by, No.!

Well then, how about a Mah Jongg Party?

4 beautiful ladies came marching in all dressed in glitter. I wore my hot sequined dress and hat; we hugged and sipped champagne. For me it was an O'Douls. I decorated my studio apartment in red and gold and candlelit the room. The sofa was called my living room and there I introduced my friends to the Burning Bowl. "Write down what you do not want in your life from last year." I marched us into the bathroom sink and lit a match to all the 2010 negatives. Then we wrote our goals for the next 3 months. We each put them in a sealed envelope and on April 1, I will mail them out to see if we really lived up to our hopes and dreams.

We took 2 steps into the dining room, my card table set in the middle of the room, the centerpiece my mah jongg set all decorated in silver and red. I served a luscious green organic salad with garlic oil dressing. We each devoured our own Rock Cornish hen in orange sauce, cous cous with vegetables and string beans in garlic and oil. After all we were all ladies.

After dinner we threw the dishes in the sink, removed the cloth and set up the mah jongg set. Hard to concentrate going from spirituals, to gourmets and now gamblers. The chocolate chip thick cookies, the bombalini's filled with chocolate and the pumpkin cheese cake kept us delighted.

At 11:30 we tore off our glitter and changed into warm clothes, walked 2 blocks to Central Park's awesome fire works party.
There was snow on the ground, the trees over head, music was playing, the runners were getting ready for their 12:00 a.m. marathon, all of this with fabulous exciting fireworks bursting over head.

Happy New Year beautiful ladies. We could not have done it without each other.

Carol Sue Gershman

No comments: