Monday, November 1, 2010

India 2010 at 75

India represents all of life and no place does it better than Varanasi. From the sweet infants, to the thousands of children, to the absolutely gorgeous Indian girls and young moms who grow into fat women, to the deformed, the beggars, the pushers, the old and then the burning ghats where 60 dead people a day are put to rest. This is India all out in the open each day, every day.

The last week I decided t6o go to Osho Ashram in Pune, outside of Mumbai. I had heard about it for many years. I had no idea that I was entering a spiritual concentration camp where I would have to abide to their orders. I had to buy a maroon robe, a white robe to be allowed in. I would have to wear the maroon robe all day long until it was time to change into the white robe in the evening. I was not allowed in their gorgeous lavish pool until I bought a maroon bathing suit. If I was one minute late for any program I would not be allowed in. Once inside I could not cough, sneeze, or clear my throat. There were guards all over checking my ID. I had to take an aids test and after paying their entrance fee, I had to pay to swim in their marble pool. It all gave me a headache and stressed me out. But once they tamed the tiger, I did not want to leave.

I would say, if you have not been, hurry up and go. India is growing rapidly and change is, and will be coming fast. Some places are already somewhat westernized; some are caught between at this point. Already they are tourist friendly and tourist ready. This will be the place we are all looking for!

Love,
Carol Sue Gershman

No comments: